Saturday, January 1, 2011

My New Favorite Thing

In the states, ketchup was far from my favorite condiment. When I was little I could have eaten in on anything. I wonder how many gallons the average public elementary school goes through in a week? Since I turned ten though and it lost it’s childhood mystique it rarely was welcome on much more than my french fries and meatloaf. In my eyes it pales in comparison to homemade barbecue sauce, hidden valley ranch (mmm wish I had some now) or some good brown mustard. Here the ketchup is SO bad. So when I found myself in the condiment aisle at the local supermarket the other day I was strangely attracted to an over-sized (read-american sized) red bottle. Mesmerized by the promise of high fructose corn syrup and ‘natural’ flavoring in the list of ingredients I quickly put the bottle in my cart. Never mind that this one item was half the cost of my grocery bill.
As I write this I’m enjoying some on my salchipapas (french fries with cut up hot-dog on top) that I got from a street vendor near my house. The Heinz company really knows their stuff! Now I have to figure out what to do with 43 3⁄4 oz that are left.

No comments:

Post a Comment